Image Map
Image Map

Friday, October 30, 2009

Snack-o-Lanterns

When I saw this idea on FamilyFun I was delighted and eager to try it out for my own family. The beautiful photo above is from the FamilyFun website and while ours didn't turn out quite as perfect as theirs did it was still pretty whimsical..and delicious!! Check out the how-to below and the photos of our own little snack-o-lantern.

Snack-o-Lanterns

Ingredients
Naval Orange
Fresh or canned fruit salad

Instructions
1. To make one lantern, use a small knife to slice the top off a navel orange and cut around its interior to hollow it out. Scoop out the orange segments, chop them, and mix them with canned or fresh fruit salad.

2. Carve small facial features in one side of the orange, then cut a slit in the lid to accommodate the handle of a green plastic spoon. Fill the lantern with fruit salad. Insert the spoon and set the lid in place.
Carving out a face in a flimsy orange peel is definitely trickier than it looks..but the end result is well worth it. My little guy squeeled in delight when I served this up as dessert.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

So cool!

The Little Miss said...

I’m new here to your blog and wanted to “pop” in to say hi! : ) You have a beautiful blog and Ive enjoyed reading your blog posts!
If you would like come check out my blog and enter my current giveaway at littlemissheirlooms.blogspot.com
I hope you decided to follow me because I try to bring my readers a new and AMAZING giveaway every Monday!
Xo
Priscila